Friday, March 18, 2011

conversation with a stranger

The room was packed with people.


The coffee in my system had since left my body and I couldn’t recognize many of the faces around me. Vision blurred, I slumped into the nearest chair, clutching a small, worn book in my hand. There was man in the front of the room, speaking in an authoritative tone and with monotonous intonation – automatically, I struggled to pay attention.


“… importance … hours … three hundred and fifty … but only …”


Someone tapped me on my shoulder, holding the destroyed book.


“You dropped this.”


“Right,” I attempt to nod.


There is a flurry of papers and shifting positions. I pull out the pen attached to the paperback and start writing.


--


It ends with forty five minutes left on the clock and I stumble into the afternoon sunlight. There’s a bench nearby which I fumble to reach. I don’t care about people and their damn dogs, so I lay out passing into unconsciousness as soon as my head hits the wood.


--

(a small street, bicycles whipping up past me, hair in mouth – I try to find mine – rolling on two wheels next to a stranger)


--


I blink. I’m awake.


I feel something heavy on my shoulders. I sit up suddenly, disoriented, confused – what time was it?


Two hands steady me.


“Wha-?”


“Whoa. It’s okay.” The hands are still on my shoulders. I end up looking into brown eyes and relax into the offered embrace.


“How was it?”


“H’was what?” I say rubbing my face, shrinking away from the sunlight. There’s a scoffing laugh.


“You’ve been talking about this since you were – “


“ – shut up. I know.”


I sit up, my back against the wooden panels, feet planted to the ground. I stare parallel to the plane beneath my feet, watching a poodle scamper around its owner’s feet.


“I – I don’t know.”


“What’s that supposed to mean?”


I sigh, running my hand through my hair.


“It means, “ I struggle, “that I wrote it. And that’s it. Blank slate.”


My companion merely looks at me, or so I assume – my eyes are still focused on the scampering poodle.


“I don’t remember okay?” I say quickly getting up. “Thanks,” I mumble returning the jacket.


“Hold on a second –“


“I’ll talk to you later, okay?” I say, grabbing my book. My pen has disappeared, its remnants on my palms and fingertips.


“Seriously? You just –“ was the reply to my admittedly ambiguous statement. I started walking away. Fast. I could hear my name being called loudly … louder. I picked up my pace and ran. Ran, ran, ran.

No comments:

Post a Comment